What We Saw in Dublin: The Book of Kells and The Long Room

When I was in Dublin twenty years ago I didn't see The Books of Kells (can't remember if I got there too early, or if the exhibit was temporarily closed): this time I nabbed it.  Not sure what the tickets cost (we got some free tickets from a friend), but you see The Book of Kells along with a few other illuminated manuscripts, and you get a nice tour of The Long Room (my girls thought "Hogwarts"). We didn't spend too much time looking at everything displayed in The Long Room (we had to get to the port and return to Holyhead) but I do remember two things very well: a replica of Cornelius Magrath's skeleton (he suffered from gigantism) and Jonathan Swift's death mask.

Perhaps the most famous page of The Book of Kells is the Chi Rho:


Book of Kells Pictures, Images and Photos


The Long Room:

Trinity College - Long Room Pictures, Images and Photos


Death Mask of Jonathan Swift:

jonathan swift death mask Pictures, Images and Photos


Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

Hitchcock's Soda City

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West