"La Dolce Vita": Eros vs. Thanatos

La Dolce Vita is a long film and I hadn't seen it in years (I also had to give in to the girls and their need to remain au courant, i.e., they wanted to watch Beastly, which means I didn't get to finish it).

Much of what I saw reminded me of Eros vs. Thanatos (see link below that claims Fellini was heavily influenced by Jung, Freud, and psychoanalytic theory) and, certainly stooping to oversimplification, I'll tag Sylvia (Anita Ekberg) as Eros and Steiner (Alain Cuny) as Thanatos.

 http://filmdirectors.co/federico-fellini-filmmaking-techniques/

*

The stunner for me was Maddalena (Anouk Aimee), whom I didn't know or remember and so had to look up.  I thought: The epitome of Italian Beauty, but it turns out she's French/Jewish. She plays the bored aristocrat who utters something like "Only love gives me strength."


Anouk Aimée Pictures, Images and Photos


Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

Hitchcock's Soda City

TĂœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West