Irish Soda Bread

I tried making it the last time I returned from Ireland (20 years ago) and it was an utter failure: hard as rock. Back then you saw it sitting in just about every Irish pub; this time I only saw and had it once (in Slane, just north of Dublin: we had a wonderful lunch in the old post office). That might be because we spent so little time in Ireland (only 2.5 days) and barely escaped Dublin (our one day to Knowth, Newgrange, Slane, and the coast north of Dublin).

Googling around for a recipe today, I saw little that looked like the Irish soda bread I remember from Ireland: course, brown bread, no raisins. Finally, coming to an interview with an Irish chef (from Cork, I believe), I learned a bit about the history of Irish soda bread and had several recommended recipes to choose from. OK, so I chose one that deviates a bit from the simpler, more traditional fare, but the addition of toasted walnuts sounded too good to resist.

I thought surely I'd ruin it (like my last effort 20 years ago), but it actually turned out pretty good.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mini-Walnut-Soda-Breads-102398



Irish Soda Bread Pictures, Images and Photos


Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West