Stefan Zweig: "Beware of Pity"

I'd heard about him for years before I read him: Austrian, Jewish, commits suicide with his young wife in Brazil between the wars. Read some of his short stories/novellas--notably The Royal Game (also called Chess Story)--and liked them, so I picked up his novel Beware of Pity (pretty much a steal at a closing Borders).

I've also found an interesting essay about Zweig online (The World of Yesterday, which I've not yet read, is Zweig's autobiography, supposedly sent to his publisher just before he died):

 http://quarterlyconversation.com/stefan-zweigs-world-of-yesterday


*

stefan Zweig Pictures, Images and Photos


Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West