Paul Tillich's Criticism of Bultmann

From Paul Tillich's A History of Christian Thought:
Since you all know what Bultmann is trying to do, let me give you here merely my mild criticism of it. I feel that on most points I am on Bultmann's side. But he does not know the meaning of myth. He does not know that religious language is and always must be mythological. Even when he says that God has acted in Jesus in order to confront us with the possibility of decision for or against authentic existence, this is a symbolic or mythological way of speaking. He resists admitting this; he cannot go beyond it. I have often stated that he should speak not of demythologization but of deliteralization, which means not taking the symbols as literal expressions of events in time and space.

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West