Flaubert to George Sand

From Letter #309 (according to my Kindle edition):
For, the moment that a thing is true, it is good. Obscene books likewise are immoral only because they lack truth. Things are not "like that" in life.
   And observe that I curse what they agree to call realism, althought they make me one of its high priests; reconcile all that.

*

I believe I've posted a photo of Flaubert (many posts ago) but not George Sand. Though she was a bit cuter in Impromptu (Judy Davis falling for Chopin = Hugh Grant), this is an older version of the real thing. Flaubert often calls her "my master."


George Sand Pictures, Images and Photos


Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West