New Kindle: Sand to Flaubert

Got a new Kindle for my birthday: a duplicate (my wife said wait for the newer models, but I said: I just want a replacement).

I knew all my "library" was archived (except for the freebies from Gutenberg, which I must download again) but I didn't think it'd save all my Notes & Marks. It did. Not knowing that I went to an approximate starting point--i.e., about where I'd left off before I lost my Kindle--in the Sand/Flaubert Letters (I wanted a short something before bedtime), and read a couple letters (#280 & #281).

From #280 (Sand to Flaubert):
You ought to do as I do and IGNORE criticism when it is not serious, and even when it is. I have never been able to see what good it is to the author criticised. Criticism always starts from a personal point of view, the authority of which the artist does not recognize.

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

Hitchcock's Soda City

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West