"Pale Fire": Line 1000 = Line 1: I was the shadow of the waxwing slain

I'm almost at the end (and the end is somewhat coming back to me: Memory says: Now I remember): Gradus (Mr. Gray) has fired and hit Shade instead of Kinbote = Commentator = Zemblan King (once he's recovered, with the help of a good-looking gardener, Kinbote dials 11111).

I think today I'll just highlight a few fantastic phrases (why I keep coming back to Nabokov) I've highlighted via Kindle (great for that and notetaking).

Re the writing process (specifically Shade's):
. . . so that he could plunge back into his chaos and drag out of it, with all its wet stars, his cosmos?
Re history:
Shade: "True, sir. In due time history will have denounced everybody. . . ."
Re Lines 939 - 940: Man's life, etc.:
. . . our poet suggests here that human life is but a series of footnotes to a vast obscure unfinished masterpiece.
Re Gradus and a cup of coffee (he's on his way; he's in the Big Apple):
He had a brimming cup and half a saucerful of coffee at a crowded and wet counter and spent the rest of the smoke-blue morning moving from bench to bench and from paper to paper in the westside alleys of Central Park.
Re Gradus and  his first paper (The New York Times):
His lips moving like wrestling worms, . . .
Re some verbal silliness by Carl Sandburg:
Asked about the Soviet exhibition at the New York Coliseum, Carl Sandburg, a poet, replied, and I quote: "They make their appeal on the highest of intellectual levels."
Re Gradus (aka Jacques d'Argus) and Kinbote's godlike perspective on his day in NYC:
From my rented cloudlet I contemplate him with quiet surprise: here he is, this creature ready to commit a monstrous act--and coarsely enjoying a coarse meal!
Re the miracle of the written word:
We are absurdly accustomed to the miracle of a few written signs being able to contain immortal imagery, involutions of thought, new worlds with live people, speaking, weeping, laughing.

I was the shadow of the waxwing slain
                                                                
Waxwing Pictures, Images and Photos


Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West