Friday Names His God: Benamuckee

Friday's salvation was a bit unbelievable but I still enjoyed it (suspending disbelief) and I know Crusoe needed someone to talk to.

This morning I got a little more on the island's geography:
I afterwards understood it was occasioned by the great draft and reflux of the mighty river Orinoco, in the mouth or gulf of which river, as I found afterwards, our island lay; and that this land, which I perceived to be W. and NW., was the great island of Trinidad, on the north point of the mouth of the river.

I also got the name of Friday's mountain god:
He told me, "It was one Benamuckee, that lived beyond all;" he could describe nothing of this great person, but that he was very old, "much older," he said, "than the sea or land, than the moon or stars."
The clergy who serve Benamuckee are also old: Friday called them "Oowokakee."

And Benamuckee can be prayed to: "All things say O to him."



Robinson Crusoe and Man Friday, Carl Offterdinger (1829-1889)
From WikiMedia Commons


Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West