The Kindle's Packed with Some Irish Lit

With a little luck (how Irish) I'll be in Eire by this coming Sunday (the backup plan is England). We fly standby which, especially in summer, is a hard row to hoe. Been there before (from Joyce's tower to Yeats' Sligo and Drumcliff), but the girls haven't and I'm glad to go again.

To that end I've decided to give John Banville's novel The Sea another try (I've got it on Kindle with a host of other Irish greats: Yeats, Joyce, Synge). I'd read his The Book of Evidence some while ago (I'd also read a blurb somewhere that compared him to Nabokov--which IMO is a big NOT)--I'll give it a "B"--and so thought The Sea would be a breeze (didn't it win the Booker?).

When I initially downloaded it I believe I started reading it before Herta Muller's The Appointment. Long story short: I couldn't get into the flow of it (was it pushing too hard to be "literary"? was it me?) and switched over to her.

Now I'm back and I've managed to get off to a good start (Kindle says 10%): i.e. I think I'm beyond the point of giving it up.




James Joyce's Tower and Museum in Sandycove, Dublin, Ireland
From Wikimedia Commons
Author YvonneM

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West