"The Agonies of Art"

To Louise Colet


     I am hideously worried, mortally depressed. My accursed Bovary is torturing me and driving me mad. Last Sunday Bouilhet raised some objections to one of my characters and to the plan. I can do nothing about it: though there is some truth in what he says, I feel the opposite is true also. Ah, I am very tired and very discouraged! You call me Master. What a wretched Master!
     No -- perhaps the whole thing hasn't had enough spadework, for distinctions between thought and style are a sophism. Everything depends on the conception. So much the worse! I am going to push on, and as fast as I can, in order to have a complete picture. There are moments when all this makes me want to croak. Ah! I'll be well acquainted with them, the agonies of Art!


*Footnote on the phrase "the agonies of Art" (by the translator, Francis Steegmuller):
1. Such, at least, would seem to be the least inadequate translation of Flaubert's famous phrase "les affres de l'Art." 

 **When asked (I asked), Google translates the whole phrase as "the throes of Art." Just putting in les affres gives "the horrors."


Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West