Flaubert's Letters

Have not too long ago, and with some relish (occasionally some other condiments too), read the correspondence between Flaubert and George Sand. Now I'm back for more. Cracked a real book -- The Letters of Gustave Flaubert 1830 - 1857 -- because my camera phone (and with it Kindle and Mr. K) isn't allowed where I'm going tomorrow. Thus far I've liked the little I've glimpsed, and am hoping the two (K. and F.) will somehow, in some respects, explain each other.


From a letter to Louise Colet (quoted in the Intro):

What seems to me the highest and most difficult achievement of Art is not to make us laugh or cry, nor to arouse our lust or rage, but to do what nature does -- that is, to set us dreaming.

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

Hitchcock's Soda City

TÜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West