From Flaubert's Letters

To Louise Colet:
     What would I learn from those wonderful newspapers you so want me to take each morning, with my bread and butter and cup of coffee? Why should I care what they say? I have very little curiosity about the news, politics bores me to death, and the literary articles stink. To me it's all stupid-making and irritating . . . Yes, newspapers disgust me profoundly -- I mean the ephemeral, things of the moment, what is important today and won't be tomorrow. This is not insensitivity. It is simply that I sympathize as much, perhaps even more, with the past misfortunes of those who are dead and no longer thought of -- all the cries they uttered, now unheard. I feel no more pity for the lot of the modern working classes than for that of the ancient slaves who turned the millstones. I am no more modern than I am ancient, no more French than Chinese; and the idea of la patrie, the fatherland -- that is, the obligation to live on a bit of earth colored red or blue on a map, and to detest the other bits colored green or black -- has always seemed to me narrow, restricted, and ferociously stupid. I am the brother in God of everything that lives, from the giraffe and the crocodile to man, and the fellow-citizens of everyone inhabiting the great furnished mansion called the universe . . . Poetry is a free plant. It grows where no one has ever seeded it. The poet is simply the patient botanist who scales mountains to gather it. 

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West