Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria, and Back Again

Almost every summer we take a "family" vacation. This summer the three graces and I did a full circle (though it felt like a magic triangle): We flew into Seattle and drove directly to Vancouver; from Vancouver we took the BC ferry to Victoria; and from Victoria we took another ferry (the Coho) back to Washington State (it landed in Port Angeles) and Seattle.

Being an early riser, reader, and coffee drinker (I'd say connoisseur but that's too highfalutin for what I am), I woke early and hiked to the nearest Starbucks (I'm really a Peetnik but Starbucks' Americano and rasberry thumbprint scone were adequate subs for my "usual").

Reading: In Vancouver I knocked off Peter Handke's little Don Juan: His Own Version (not IMHO vintage Handke but still a good read); and between Victoria and Seattle (I actually finished it on the plane coming home) I thoroughly enjoyed the signature style (a book title in every line) of Herta Muller in her Passport.

*

Lots of photos to follow (dribble dribble).

*

Perhaps today I'll only post a photo or photos of the Emily Carr statue in Victoria (the artist was a new find for me) and her Wiki-bio.

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West