Don Quixote: Enchanted or No

Being "enchanted" is a big deal in Don Quixote. In the Don's mind just about everything bad that comes his way is due to "enchantment." In this instance he has been put into a cage because he is "enchanted." Sancho wants to convince him that he isn't. It's a good example of Cervantes' idea of literary fun.
     'And I tell you I'm sure my master's a good and honest man, and so, being as it is very much to the point, what I'm asking, with all due respect, is wheter maybe, in the time you've been shut up and, as you think, enchanted here in this cage, you've ever felt the need or urge to do number one or number two, as some people put it.'
     'I do not understand what you mean by "doing the numbers", Sancho; you must be more explicit if you wish me to give you a clear answer.'
     'How can you not know about doing number one and number two? It's the very first thing you learn at school. Look, what I'm asking is if you've felt the urge to do what you've got to do.'
     'Oh, now I understand you, Sancho! Yes, yes, often; indeed I am feeling it at this very moment. Do save me  from my plight, for things in here are none too clean!'
Sancho thinks this admission proves Don Quixote is not enchanted, but of course the Don, with his brand of logic, can easily weasel out of Sancho's "proof":

     'What you say is true, Sancho,' replied Don Quixote, 'but I have already told you that enchantment can take many different forms, and it could be that these have changed in the course of time, so that what happens nowadays is that the enchanted do all the things that I do, even though formerly they did not. So one cannot either argue against the customs of the times, or draw any conclusions from them. I know for certain that I am enchanted, and this is enough for the comfort of my conscience; because my remorse would be great indeed if I thought that I am not enchanted and that I am sitting here in this cage like an idler and a coward, depriving so many distressed and needy people of the succour I could be giving them, when they must at this very moment be in extreme need of my aid and protection.'  

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West