Frisch's "Homo Faber": Yes, I'm Still on the Swiss Kick

Finished with Durrenmatt in Switzerland and coming home on the plane. Now via Kindle I've started rereading Frisch's Homo Faber. Also, paperbackwise, I'm poised to read Ernst Junger's Storm of Steel (thus far I've only tackled the introduction).

A few "underscores" from Homo Faber:
  • Novels don't interest me
  • The term "probability" includes improbability, and when the improbable does occur this is no cause for surprise, bewilderment or mystification
  • I like chess because you can spend hours at a time without speaking
  • I've often wondered what people mean when they talk about an experience
  • Why get womanish
  • Theresienstadt
  • Baby Hermes
  • the peace of a whole desert
  • the sort of American woman who thinks she has to marry every man she goes to bed with
  • Maxwell's demon
  • I only lost my temper when Marcel started to talk about my work, that is to say about UNESCO, saying the technologist was the final guise of the white missionary, industrialization the last gospel of a dying race and living standards a substitute for a purpose in living


Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

Hitchcock's Soda City

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West