Paul Celan and Pont Mirabeau

Though I lent my copy of John Felstiner's book (Paul Celan: Poet, Survivor, Jew) to a neighbor and it never returned, I found this snippet (pretty much what I'd remembered: i.e., Celan jumped from Pont Mirabeau and was reading about Holderlin just before he died) online:

A biography of Holderlin was found then on Celan's desk, open to an underlined passage: "Sometimes this genius goes dark and sinks down into the bitter well of his heart." Celan did not, I noticed, underline the rest of the sentence in the Holderlin biography: "but mostly his apocalyptic star glitters wondrously."

Pont Mirabeau

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West