Another excerpt: "A Posthumous Confession"

This excerpt is re the narrator's initial thoughts about Anna (he's hoping she will become his wife):

For my part, I did not find her in the least attractive; but a lover of clear lines would probably have come to a different conclusion. The blue of the eyes was too light for me, the almost imperceptible lashes and eyebrows did not set the eyes off, the small, tilted nose gave her a childlike quality, and the cool, marbled skin aroused not the slightest sensual desire in me. If at that moment I had been permitted to give her a kiss, I would not have done it, or have done it without pleasure. Outdoors in a crowd she would certainly have passed me entirely unnoticed;  in these stuffy domestic surroundings we saw each other as two prisoners who could escape only by combining forces. 

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West