Memorial Day Photos, Day #2: Rainer Maria Rilke

I know Memorial Day is a one time thing, but in my e-world a day can last for multiple human days. We'll see how long this holiday lasts, but more than likely it'll end by your Friday, if not before.

Day #2 belongs to Rainer Maria Rilke. I visited his gravesite--in Raron, Switzerland--once in autumn (early 90's) and once in winter (I'm guessing 5 to 7 years ago).


Autumn Shots:

Grave



Rilke's Self-Penned Epitaph:

Rose, oh reiner Widerspruch, Lust
Niemandes Schlaf zu sein unter soviel
Lidern.

Rose, oh pure contradiction, joy
of being No-one's sleep, under so
many lids
(translation by Stephen Mitchell)


Old Church in Raron (Rilke's stone faces the valley)


                                          

Rilke's Valley View




Winter Shots:

Grave



Muzot (down the road, near Sierre)




Since we're remembering Rilke, I'll throw in a picture of Duino Castle (near Trieste, Italy). I also went there on the first trip (early 90's). It was raining like crazy as I took the Rilke Path along the ragged Adriatic coast; could've swore I saw and heard a few dark angels. I could only get so close, because the castle was fenced off. I could be mistaken (my memory is fading) but I think at that time it was some sort of school. I escaped the rain by ducking into a small grotto or niche. A young boy, who said he attended the school, was also seeking shelter there. Or have I made it all up? Twisted it for story's sake?

Anyway, a quick google suggests the park has been reopened to the public since 2003.

Duino Castle









Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West