The Enemy is Reason

I thought I'd shortlist Shestov. 

It's been a while since I've read Shestov (thus far I own none of his hard-to-come-by books: give me time , and the little I have read I downloaded from the online Shestov library: http://www.angelfire.com/nb/shestov/index.html), and much of my understanding of him (meager as it is) is through the filter of Czeslaw Milosz and his essay in To Begin Where I Am.

I'll start with a quote from the end of Milosz's essay "Shestov, or the Purity of Despair":

To Sorana [she had demanded that Milosz read Shestov] the God of the Scriptures defended by the stern priest Shestov would probably not have meant an afterlife and a palm tree in Heaven. He must have appeared to her as He did to the Russian author, as pure anti-Necessity. The question was not the existence of Heaven and Hell, not even the "existence" of God Himself. Above any notions, but revealed by His voice in the Scriptures, He is able to create anything, even a personal heaven and earth for Sorana Gurian. Or for each one of us.




Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West