From Point C to Point B

Left Sentimental Education (I sometimes jump back and forth between countries) for Breyten Breytenbach's Dog Heart. From Point C to Point B: From Coetzee to Breytenbach. The surprise rain (who would've thought) kept me in the coffee shop reading longer than usual, but I've still only taken a small bite: I got to page 25. Would I have thought "painterly composition" (this is memoir, not his poetry) if I hadn't known already that he was also a painter? Hard to say.

From the opening section: BEGINNING, FOR THE READER:

To cut a long story short: I am dead.
   Do you think I'm joking? Am I not lurking behind these rustling words--perhaps a little thicker around the waist, a little darker in the mind? Am I not the writer sitting in the dappled light of the pepper tree, pursing my lips and closing my eyes to the glare of a yellow fire baking the valley?
   My mind fumbles for a buried reference; I'm on the verge of remembering the odour of ancient clods. Can one touch the moon?

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West