Zweig and Freud: "The World of Yesterday"

Of course I already knew of Zweig's connection to Freud (unlike my hero Nabokov, Zweig considered Freud a paragon of "the scientific mind"), but in the final pages of The World we learn, via Zweig, of Freud's final days in London:

The thought of the eighty-three old invalid in Hitler's Vienna had weighed on me for months until finally the amazing Princess Maria Bonaparte, his most faithful pupil, had succeeded in getting this pre-eminent man out of subjugated Vienna and to London. I counted it a happy day in my life when I read in the paper that he had arrived on the isle and I saw the most revered of my friends, whom I had believed lost, restored from Hades.

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

Hitchcock's Soda City

TÜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West