Some of What I've Underlined (Thus Far) in Beckett's "Malone Dies"

Some of the "bits" I've underscored (in Kindle) in Beckett's "Malone Dies":
  • What matters is to eat and excrete
  • Nothing is more real than nothing
  • and sorry he could make no meaning of the babel raging in his head, the doubts, desires, imagings and dreads
  • And on the threshold of being no more I succeed in being another
  • There is no use indicting words, they are no shoddier than what they peddle
  • It is such a night as Kaspar David Friedrich loved, tempestuous and bright
  • The noises of nature, of mankind and even my own, were all jumbled together in one and the same unbridled gibberish
  • For he knew how the dead and buried tend, contrary to what one might expect, to rise to the surface, in which they resembled the drowned
  • You may say it is all in my head, and indeed sometimes it seems to me I am in a head and that these eight, no, six, these six planes that enclose me are of solid bone

    Comments

    Paul Oliverio said…
    "Nothing is more real than nothing" is uber-Mathematics for "Zero Rules!"
    In uber-Math, the man who has everything, in sum, has nothing. If all of his possessions get mapped onto a number line, they approach BOTH positive infinity and negative infinity. The grand total is
    Zero!
    Beckett is not an irrational number. He is the ultimate number.

    POPULAR POSTS

    Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

    TÜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

    Hitchcock's Soda City

    Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West