Underscores become Bullets: From Beckett's "The Unnamable"

  • I'll sham dead now, whom they couldn't bring to life, and my monster's carapace will rot off me. But it's entirely a matter of voices,  no other metaphor is appropriate. They've blown me up with their voices, like a balloon, and even as I collapse it's them I hear
  • I won't say it, I can't say it, I have no language but theirs, . . .
  • This is the kind of language I can almost understand, these the kind of clear and simple notions on which it is possible for me to build, I ask for no other spiritual nourishment. A turnip, I know roughly what a turnip is like, a carrot too, particularly the Flakkee, or Colmar Red
  • the soul being notoriously immune from deterioration and dismemberment
  • I have to puke my heart out too, spew it up whole along with the rest of the vomit, it's then at last I'll look as if I mean what I'm saying, it won't be just idle words
  • The galley-man, bound for the Pillars of Hercules, who drops his sweep under cover of night and crawls between the thwarts, towards the rising sun, unseen by the guard, praying for storm
  • Pupil Mahood, repeat after me, Man is a higher mammal
  • But it's time I gave this solitary a name, nothing doing without proper names. I therefore baptise him Worm
  • I can hear him yet, faithful, begging me to still this dead tongue of the living
  • That the impossible should be asked of me, good, what else could be asked of me? But the absurd! Of me whom they have reduced to reason
  • I've swallowed three hooks and am still hungry
  • the setting sun whose last rays, raking the street from end to end, lend to my cenotaph and interminable shadow, astraddle of the gutter and the sidewalk
  • And often I went on looking without flinching until, ceasing to be, I ceased to see

Comments

Paul Oliverio said…
If there is a solution to mortality–and all of Beckett's work from beginning to end is concerned with hunting for such a solution–it lies not in "transcending" death, but in discovering a dimension of life which reduces death to an inane irrelevance. (p.7) RICHARD N. COE
"Samuel Beckett"
Grove Press
First Evergreen
Black Cat Edition (1970)

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West