Ford Madox Ford: Some Do Not ...

From the first book of four in Parade's End:


“You don’t want me to be a pure young girl,” Sylvia asked with lazy incredulity. “I do not!” the Father said, “but I’d wish that at times ye’d remember you once were.” “I don’t believe I ever was,” Sylvia said. “If the nuns had known, I’d have been expelled from the Holy Child.” “You would not,” the Father said. “Do stop your boasting. The nuns have too much sense.... Anyhow, it isn’t a pure young girl I’d have you or behaving like a Protestant deaconess for the craven fear of hell. I’d have ye be a physically healthy, decently honest-with-yourself young devil of a married woman. It’s them that are the plague and the salvation of the world.”

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West