From Tolstoy's "Hadji Murad"



`Where have the batmen got to?' asked Butler. `Gone off drinking,' said Marya Dmitrievna. `What is it you want?' `I want the door opened. You've got a whole horde of mountaineers outside. Hadji Murad has come.' `Go on, tell me another one,' said Marya Dmitrievna, smiling. `It's not a joke. It's true. They are just outside.' `What? Really?' said Marya Dmitricvna. `Why should I want to make it up? Go and look -- they are just outside. `Well, there's a thing!' said Marya Dmitrievna, rolling down her sleeves and feeling for the pins in her thick plait of hair. `I'll go and wake up Ivan Matvcovich, then!' `No, I'll go. You, Bondarenko, go and open the door,' said Butler. `That's all right by me,' said Marya Dmitrievna and returned to her work.

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West