Paul Bowles' "The Sheltering Sky" (Through the Filter of Bertolucci)

Though the ardor has lessened (last book I read was Unwelcome Words--a little gem I picked up in a Santa Barbara used bookstore a few years back), I still like Paul Bowles. Certainly--once upon a time--I liked him for where he could take me (a big reason I finally went to Morocco was Bowles) more than style.

Anyway, I've had "The Sheltering Sky" staring at me from the bookcase for some while. I've still not re-read it (keep staring and I might yield) but last night I chose ($2.99 via Fios) to revisit Bertolucci's cinematic version (did roughly 100 of the 138 minutes; will finish it tonight).

A few things:

1.) Bertolucci was making love to the desert.

2.) I liked Debra Winger more than I remembered; and I believe this was the first role I ever saw Peter Pettigrew in (he's better here).

3.) I'd forgotten how many times Bowles himself appears (I only remembered the bit--must be near the end because I've not gotten there yet--about full moons).


*

Paul Bowles Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West