Coetzee's "Elizabeth Costello"

I know: more Coetzee. Haven't I almost emptied his oeuvre?

Elizabeth Costello (why do I keep thinking Elvis Costello) is again Coetzee in woman's guise; the son is another avatar of Coetzee; the narrator directs them both; but of course all of this is an oversimplification. Taking another stab at it, maybe it'd be better to say: Coetzee's creations with a few appendages/characteristics of Coetzee thrown in?

Elizabeth Costello is a famous author who's not so impressive close-up (i.e., she's human); her son (at least in chapter one) is her travel companion.

*

Anyway, little to say since I've only started. Maybe that I'm reminded a bit of Summertime. And the landscape (or at least Elizabeth's landscape) is Australia not South Africa.

When did Coetzee move to Australia?

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

Hitchcock's Soda City

TÜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West