"Gooseberries" by Chekhov

Decided to hang with Chekhov for a bit more before moving on to the Goncourt brothers. (I'm at my mother's country house now -- for another week or so -- and it sometimes makes me feel like reaching for Chekhov, especially in summer.) This "clip" is from "Gooseberries," a short story you can easily down just before a lazy summertime nap.


"But the point just now is not he, but myself. I want to tell you about the change that took place in me during the brief hours I spent at his country place. In the evening, when we were drinking tea, the cook put on the table a plateful of gooseberries. They were not bought, but his own gooseberries, gathered for the first time since the bushes were planted. Nikolay Ivanovitch laughed and looked for a minute in silence at the gooseberries, with tears in his eyes; he could not speak for excitement. Then he put one gooseberry in his mouth, looked at me with the triumph of a child who has at last received his favourite toy, and said: "'How delicious!' "And he ate them greedily, continually repeating, 'Ah, how delicious! Do taste them!' "They were sour and unripe, but, as Pushkin says: "'Dearer to us the falsehood that exalts Than hosts of baser truths.'

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West