From Holderlin's Letters

Could be some repeats (I read this not so long ago but have wanted to return since reading Coetzee on Holderlin). OK, so what? I'm not looking back.

***




The reason I’m still in the seminary is that my mother wishes it. I suppose I can waste a year or two for her sake. Send me some of your poems soon. There is more in them for our souls than in letters. Isn’t that true?
*
To be honest, this lovely period is almost over for me. I no longer attach myself so fondly to individuals. My love is for humankind, though not of course in the corrupt, slavish, torpid form which, however restricted our experience, we only too often find it in. But I love the great and beautiful potential even corrupt people have. I love the generations of the centuries to come. For this is my keenest hope, the belief that keeps me strong and active: our grandchildren will be better than we are, freedom will come one day, and virtue will thrive better in the holy warming light of freedom than in the icy zone of despotism. We live in a period when everything is working towards better times. These seeds of enlightenment, these quiet aspirations and efforts of individuals trying to shape the human race, will spread and gain strength and bear splendid fruit.
*
That Robespierre had to pay with his head seems just to me, and will perhaps bring some good with it. Only let the twin angels of humanity and peace come and the cause of humankind will be sure to thrive! Amen.
 
 

 

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West