Reading: Air, Scotland, Home

What I scribbled electronically yesterday (6.29.16) as I stumbled out of Bucks, crossed the street into the park, and started my walk: Feeling the need to be transported (w/o analysis in writ): if not in space, then in time. Thus perhaps DQ. And now STC.

Reading: Finished Modiano's Pedigree on the plane to Edinburgh; switched to rereading De Quincey's Confessions in Edinburgh (I walked to his grave early the first morning); started reading Coleridge's letters (spurred by De Quincey and a little bee: Bishop) this morning.

From a letter written by Coleridge to a Mr. Poole:

My mother relates a story of me, which I repeat here, because it must be regarded as my first piece of wit. During my fever, I asked why Lady Northcote (our neighbor) did not come and see me. My mother said she was afraid of catching the fever. I was piqued, and answered, "Ah, Mamma! the four Angels round my bed an't afraid of catching it!" I suppose you know the prayer: --
"Matthew! Mark! Luke and John!
God bless the bed which I lie on.
Four angels round me spread,
Two at my foot, and two at my head."

This prayer I said nightly, and most firmly believed the truth of it. Frequently have I (half-awake and half-asleep, my body diseased and fevered by my imagination), seen armies of ugly things bursting in upon me, and these four angels keeping them off. In my next I shall carry on my life to my father's death.
God bless you, my dear Poole, and your affectionate
S. T. Coleridge 

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

Hitchcock's Soda City

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West