From Coetzee's "The Childhood of Jesus"

Excerpt:

     'Well, in my opinion you are out of your mind, handing over your child to a stranger who for all you know has a dubious past.'
     'That's nonsense, Elena. Ines has no past, none that counts. None of us has a past. We start anew here. We start with a blank slate, a virgin slate. And Ines is not a stranger. I recognized her as soon as I set eyes on her, which means I must have some kind of prior know-ledge.'
     'You arrive here with no memories, with a blank slate, yet you claim to recognize faces from the past. It makes no sense.'
     'It is true: I have no memories. But images still persist, shades of images. How that is I can't explain. Something deeper persists too, which I call the memory of having a memory. It is not from the past that I recognize Ines but from elsewhere. It is as if the image of her were embedded in me. I have no doubts about her, no second thoughts. At least, I have no doubt that she is the boy's true mother.'
     'Then what doubts do you have?'
     'I only hope she will be good for him.' 
 
 
 
 

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

Hitchcock's Soda City

TÜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West