Paul Celan and Gisele Celan-Lestrange

One of my few foci: Celan. Been looking for a bilingual edition of his "Kindlized" poems and I finally got one: Breathturn into Timestead: The Collected Later Poetry, translated from the German, with commentary, by Pierre Joris. "Peeking at" (jumping ahead of myself, as I'm still with Sylvia) a bit of the Intro by Joris.

Learned (I don't recall Felstiner covering it) a bit more re Celan's psychological problems, especially toward the end. His break with his wife Gisele (he had tried to kill her with a knife). From the little I've gandered on the Net, she was a great artist herself.

Tomorrow: back to school.

*



Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TƜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West