13th at the Table

Interrupted The Woodcutters for the oft-alluded-to The Wild Duck by Ibsen (downloaded a very cheap copy of Ibsen's plays from Kindle). Not sure how much it has to do with Woodcutters (though Bernhard keeps alluding to it re the yet-to-arrive actor), but it was bugging me: knew I had read it but I couldn't remember the story.

Anyway, the ending of Wild Duck:

Gregers. If you are right and I am wrong, then life is not worth living.
Relling. Oh, life would be quite tolerable, after all, if only we could be rid of the confounded duns that keep on pestering us, in our poverty, with the claim of the ideal.
Gregers. [looking straight before him.In that case, I am glad that my destiny is what it is.
Relling. May I inquire, -- what is your destiny?
Gregers. [going.]  To be the thirteenth at table.
Relling. The devil it is. 
 
 

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West