Back to Gombrowicz...

No really set itinerary. Can't plan plan when you fly standby. Just have to get from Amsterdam to Poland and back again, so I'm thinking something like: West to East: Amsterdam, Aachen, Wurzburg, Dresden, Wroclaw; East to West: Berlin, Lubeck, Hamburg, Amsterdam. But like I say: all very fluid. And that's partly why I'm back to Gombrowicz and his Diary.

*

Why am I taking it out on poets? I will let you in on the reason for my benevolent cruelty: I know that the poet can bear just about anything and will not feel offended on the condition that you acknowledge that he is a poet. And here I can give them full satisfaction and can say a hundred times, yes, they are poets and even, as the Anthology will have it, the most outstanding poets (I have nothing against this).
     But you, people, be on guard against their historically justified twilight. Do not allow yourself to be drawn into the little game which consists of their "singing" and your admiring. Review your platitudes. Sometimes we admire because we have grown accustomed to admiring and also because we do not want to ruin the parade. Sometimes it also happens that we admire out of delicacy, so as not to hurt anyone. Just in case, I advise you: let us strike at them hard to see whether or not they tumble over. For that blow may free the modern day in us and will give us a key to the future. Idiots! Why do you allow history to impose poets upon you? You alone must create them, them and history.  

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West