Pound's Translations from the Chinese: "The Beautiful Toilet"

I have a collection of Pound's earlier poems, including the translations, and so I downloaded the whole of Cathay ($0.99) to reacquaint myself with the poems. (I don't believe all of the poems were in the volume I read so many years ago.)

Are they as monumental as Eliot makes them out to be? Well, he's the expert, not me.

*

The Beautiful Toilet

Blue, blue is the grass
    about the river

And the willows have
    overfilled the close
    garden.

And within, the mistress,
    in the midmost
    of her youth.

White, white of face,
    hesitates, passing
    the door.

Slender, she puts forth
    a slender hand,

And she was a courtesan
in the old days,

And she has married
    a sot,

Who now goes drunken-
ly out

And leaves her too
    much alone.


          by Mei Sheng
                 B.C. 140


[NB: The line breaks are mine, as the Kindle version
leaves you guessing in terms of  Pound's.]

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West