Clouds, Walking, Reading

No pics from my walk. A little rain and some wonderful clouds (reminding me of Otto Modersohn's obsessive sketching of Wolken). Waiting for Julian Barnes' new book on Shostakovich. Have been flip-flopping between Herbert and the early poems of Thomas Bernhard.

From Bernhard's Auf der Erde und in der Holle (very last poem):

In the Bushes, I Know, Are the Souls

In the bushes, I know, are the souls
of my fathers,
in the corn
is the pain of my father
and in the great black forest.
I know that their lives, erased
before our very eyes,
have found refuge in the ears of corn,
in the blue brow of the June sky.
I know that the dead
are the trees and the winds,
the moss, and the night
which lays its shadows
upon my burial mound.


[Translation by Peter Waugh]

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West