Re Van Gogh Museum: Amsterdam

I was dead tired after Anne Frank. Standing. Pinched nerves (doctor says I'll have to learn to live with it -- part of the aging process) in my back and legs. I'd been here before, what could I see from Vincent that I hadn't seen before. Plus: Just finished Pnin where the narrator (most likely Nabokov) was pooh-poohing Mann and Van Gogh (not that I'm a follower).

Anyway, here's what stuck (not saying the exact titles stuck, and I'm not running them down): Potato Eaters (never really liked it: too dark, cartoonish -- but I stared at it for awhile and then appreciated his evolution more); Wheat Field and Crows (because the misconception is that it was his last -- it wasn't); Tree Roots (because it was his last, because it was the last or close-to-the-last picture in the gallery -- also, I loved its abstraction, though the sign said that aspect is primarily due to the fact that it was never finished); Skull with Cigarette (just because it struck me as kiddish or anti-smoking or -- and I guess the cig was meant as a joke).

*

Note: All photos are from Wiki Gallery or Wikimedia Commons.



 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 
 










Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÃœBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West