A Few Belmont "Treasures"

Been hanging out at Belmont HS (downtown LA) this year (teaching a little math, "enjoying the ride"). I've seen these artworks for some while (two of the woodcuts stare at me when I sign in) without fully understanding their genesis.

On Friday, as I was taking a few photos, the ex-dean (now an ESL teacher) told me they were found in the "basement" (or some such dusty niche for castaways) and returned to semi-prominence. He says they're WPA. Two of the pieces (a woodcut and the sculpture) have names on them, but I haven't been able to "dig up" the artists (though the sculptor: *Mason Herron is possibly listed in the Los Angeles 1940 Census).

*It's not Mason Herron but Jason Herron. The other "readable" signature was Gordon Newell's (took me a long time to decipher his last name).

 
by Gordon Newell (1905 - 1984) 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
by Jason Herron (1900 - 1984)
 
 
 
 
  

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

Tarkovsky's Death and the Film "Stalker"

TÜBINGEN, JANUARY by Paul Celan

Hitchcock's Soda City

Coetzee's "Costello": Koba the Bear and Paul West